We all love stainless steel appliances for it's durability and odour resistant, especially in the kitchen, and your cat's potty accessory is no exception with PottyBox. Stainless steel produces a thin layer of chromium oxide that keeps it from rusting. The big question is, how long can it last? With proper care, a good quality stainless steel can last up to 20 years or more!
Preventive and Care
PottyBox is made of high-quality food-grade stainless steel, the same material used to make professional cookware. Rust is an iron oxide that forms when iron and oxygen react in the presence of water or moisture. When used with our cat litter, the moisture absorption works much faster and higher than other regular cat litter on the market, hence preventing rust from happening.
Rust will also happen if the chromium layer is damaged due to improper care even if you spend a fortune on your stainless-steel cookware. Here are the main reasons on how rust forms:
- Improper cleaning and drying: When residue isn’t removed properly or soap/water dries on the surface, it allows iron to react to the oxygen in the air.
- Scrubbing the surface with steel or hard brushes: These tools are not only too abrasive for stainless steel, but the particles can become embedded on the surface and cause rust.
- Harsh cleaning chemicals: Cleaning detergents containing chlorine and alcohol that should not be used on stainless surfaces.
🧽Our favourite care method: Use a mild dish wash or hand wash soap. Soak with water for a few minutes. Wash or use soft scrubber to clean off any residue gently. Wipe dry.
What is so magical that stainless steel can self-heal with minor rust! With a little TLC, the lil rust can be restored to its original state in no time.
Just 1 ingredient. We prefer natural methods, so baking soda will be our BFF in removing rust. Strong rust removal chemicals should be avoided because they can be harmful to your cats.
- Using baking soda and water, make a thick paste.
- Make use of a damp cloth.
- Rub it into the rust and follow the grain of the stainless steel.
- Wipe clean. Voila!
We hope this information is useful in caring for and restoring your PottyBox. As cat parents ourselves, we believe in providing you a high-quality litter box that will last you a very long time. We can't wait for you to get your first one, or even your second or third! See what other PottyBox owners have said and why they're so pleased!